Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Question from Citizen

Yesterday I was surprised to get an email asking me why I had shoveled snow into Hiway & Shazbot's mini-coondo perimeter. Kind of caught me off guard as it hadn't dawned on me someone might be watching the CoonCam. {Blonde moment.}

Raccoons will lick snow or make little snowballs to eat in the winter for moisture. If I put water in their pans this time of year, they will get right in just like any other time of the year. If their paws are wet, they will get stuck to the chain link or other metal fencing and rip skin off the pad. Just like the skin on our fingers would do when wet. They don't even flinch when they do that, but they will bleed sometimes. It's best they get their moisture from a natural source like they'd be getting in the wild. So I shoveled in clean snow because I have a tarp on top preventing large amounts from covering the little yard they have. I also break up chunks of ice and put it on top of the frozen water in their pan.

Hiway rather enjoyed the snow and made a little mound in the corner. Patting it in different spots, bringing in more, just like she was building a snow coonie.

No comments:

Post a Comment